- Garlic – 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- Cremini mushrooms – ½ lb, stems removed
- Fresh thyme – 1 tbsp, leaves only
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1+1 tbsps
- Onion – 3 cups, chopped (about 1 large)
- Canned lentils – 1 cup, drained and rinsed
- Whole-wheat bread crumbs – ¾ cup
- 1 large egg, whisked
- Kosher salt – 1 tsp
- Yellow cornmeal – 1/2 cup
- Goat cheese - 2 oz (about 1/4 cup), crumbled
- 6 whole-grain buns
- Tomato – 8 slices (optional)
- Fresh basil (optional)
- In a food processor, pulse the mushrooms with garlic and thyme until finely chopped and well combined.
- In a medium skillet, pre-heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Cook the onions for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Stir in the mixture from the food processor; cook for 2 or 3 minutes more until liquid evaporates and remove from heat. Let cool.
- Add the lentils into a large bowl; stir in the mushroom mixture; add bread crumbs, egg and salt, mix well. Moisten your hands and form 8 patties (take about ½ cup of the mixture per patty). Add the cornmeal into a plate and evenly coat the patties on both sides.
- In a non-stick skillet, pre-heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook patties for about 3 minutes on one side until golden brown. Flip the patties over; cover each with cheese. Cook for another 3 minutes or enough to let the cheese melt. Top the burgers with tomato slices and basil leaves (if desired), place between whole-grain buns and serve.