Tender, soft, sweet yeast bread swirled with a creamy homemade poppy seed filling - so delicious!
Active dry yeast
1 (.25 oz) package
Warm water (100°F/38 °C)
2 cups, or more if needed
Egg, separated, white reserved
- Put poppy seeds into a food processor and blend until seeds are ground, for about 1 minute.
- In a bowl, mix poppy seeds with 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, lemon juice, and hot milk. Cover poppy seed mixture and place in the fridge while making bread.
- In a small bowl, mix yeast with warm water and 2 tablespoons sugar. Let stand until the yeast bubbles and forms a creamy layer, about 10 minutes.
- Sift flour into a separate bowl and mix it with salt; with a pastry cutter, cut 1/4 cup butter into the flour mixture until the mixture has the texture of coarse crumbs.
- Add yeast mixture and egg yolk into the flour mixture and stir to make a soft dough.
- Dust working surface with some flour, place dough onto it and knead until smooth and slightly springy, for about 5 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, knead in more flour, about 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Cut dough into 2 pieces of equal size. Roll each piece out into a 12x16-inch rectangle.
- Spread half the poppy seed filling over each rectangle, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold the 1-inch border over the filling on all sides and press down.
- Pic0k up the shorter side of a dough rectangle and roll it up; repeat with the second rectangle. Pinch ends together or tuck ends under to prevent filling from leaking out.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper; place rolls seam sides down on the baking sheet and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F/175° C/Gas Mark 4.
- Beat egg white in a bowl until frothy; brush the rolls with beaten egg white.
- Bake in preheated oven until top is golden brown, for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cover rolls with a clean kitchen towel until cool to keep the crusts soft. Before slicing, allow to cool down completely.
Support TastyCookery project and get TastyTales for freeSupport project
Rate & Review
Thank you for visiting TastyCookery!
Pick your gift now!
Pick your gift now!
You can choose any number of gifts, from 1 to 3.
Quick & Easy chicken recipes for those who want their dinner to be special!
Simple recipes, yummy pics, and an incredible dessert for your sunny morning!
Tasty Tales Magazine
Our exclusive seasonal recipe collection for you to cook fantastic dishes every day!
By receiving (a) gift (s), you confirm that you’re now a part of TastyCookery culinary community and agree to get quick and easy daily recipes by email.