Dessert: Pate Brisee (Butter Crust)
1 ¼ cup (plus some more for rolling)
½ tsp (make it 1 ½ tsp if you want a sweet recipe)
8 tbsp, cooled, cut into ½ inch pieces
- Put the first three ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- First add half of the unsalted butter and pulse 6-8 times, then add the rest of the butter, and blend again. In the end you should get a mixture resembling coarse meal, with butter cubes of the sizes of peas.
- Pour two tbsp of ice water (without the ice) in the bowl of the food processor, and pulse 2-3 times. Then pour in more water (slowly, 1 tbsp at a time), and keep pulsing after each addition until the dough begins to stick together.
- Check the readiness of the mixture in the following way: if you take some of the dough and it holds together the dough is ready; if not pour in a bit of water again and pulse. Avoid adding too much water, as it will make the crust too tough.
- Take the mixture out of the food processor and put it on a clean and smooth surface.
- In case you want the crust to be flakier use the French technique called "fraisage". Press down the dough with your palm shmooshing it into the table several times – this process will help the crust be extra flaky.
- Press the crumby mixture together with your hands, and form a disc. Don’t knead it too much, as the crust will be too tough then.
- When you work with the dough check if the little pieces of butter are seen in it. When the crust starts to cook these butter bits will help the dough separate into several layers.
- Sprinkle the disc of dough with flour on every side. Wrap the dough in food wrap and store it in the fridge for 1 hour at least. (You can also put your dough in the freezer at this point, and keep it there for several months until you need it. Don’t forget to defrost in in a fridge for 5-8 hours before you start cooking).
- When the dough is ready for rolling take it out of the fridge and put on a clean floured surface. Wait for 5-10 minutes before rolling to take the chill off the dough, as in this way it will be much easier to roll it out.
- Sprinkle the disk with some flour. Make a 12 inch circle of the dough rolling it with a rolling pin (the circle should be around 1/8 of an inch thick).
- While rolling out the dough keep checking if it is sticking to the surface below. In case it is sprinkle the surface with flour to prevent it.
- Put the dough on a pie dish lining up the fold with the center of the pan. Unfold it gently pressing down to line the dish with the dough.
Filo Pockets with Shrimp and Ricotta Filling
I have been working with various stuffing for phyllo. This is by far t
Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Glaze
If you're looking for a new addition to your holiday dessert table, I
The Ultimate Slow Cooker Brisket recipe
This is a family recipe passed along by my late cousin David. It is s
Simple Avocado and Cucumber Salad
Enjoy this salad made with thinly sliced cucumber, dill, avocado, and
Melt-in-Your-Mouth Coconut Macaroons
This recipe has won many 1st place ribbons at my state fair. They are
Upside Down Pear Gingerbread Cake
Delicious, yet easy to make. The perfect dessert for a Thanksgiving or
Melt-in-Your-Mouth Stuffed Strawberries
Yum, yum! Sometimes I add some finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate. T
Easy and Elegant Pork Tenderloin
This main dish is beautiful in its presentation and always comes out t
Beef Stroganoff with Mushrooms
I have been making this recipe for over 20 years. This can be served o
Creamy Shrimp and Scallop Pasta
When planning your next brunch, keep this recipe in mind. It has shrim
Easy Slow Cooker Egg Casserole
Great recipe for our Thanksgiving brunch. It smelled so wonderful to w
Effortless Chicken and Dumplings
This is an easy slow cooker recipe that cooks while you are at work! I
Quick Pasta with Spinach and Bacon
This is a quick light meal. Wilted spinach, bacon and tomatoes are tos
The Easiest Chicken Salad Ever
This is the best chicken salad I have ever had in my life and it is so
Seared Halibut with Caper Sauce
This is a very easy seared halibut with a buttery wine and caper sauce
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
A supremely filling, hearty soup. I serve this on cold rainy days wit
Fried Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
These fried cheese sticks are very easy to prepare and sooo good. Enjo
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This is an awesome spin on a plain grilled cheese sandwich. Feel free
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Russet potatoes are blended with roasted garlic, butter and milk. This
Delicious Deep-fried Chicken Livers
Mom made them because they are cheap, and now the convenience stores s
Easy Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
This is an easy variation of a favorite. I used to prepare it the trad
Divine Scallops in Wine Sauce
This is a fabulous and easy wine and butter sauce for seafood and vege
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Pistachios
I had never tried Brussels sprouts before I tasted this recipe, and im
Absolute Best Liver and Onions
This recipe will turn liver haters into converts. Very simple! The th
You might also like
Rate & Review