Pasta with Hot Sausage Sauce
- Hot Italian sausage – 1 lb., casings removed
- Red onion, 2/3 cup, small chopped
- Garlic – 3 cloves, minced
- Capers – 1 tbsp., minced
- Whole peeled tomatoes – 1 28-oz can, mashed, liquid reserved
- Crushed tomatoes – 1 14.5-oz can
- Tomato sauce -1 8-oz can
- Red wine – 1.2 cup
- Dried basil – 1 tsp.
- Dried parsley – 1 tsp.
- Dried oregano – ½ tsp.
- Crushed red pepper – ¼ tsp.
- Ground black pepper – ¼ tsp.
- Salt – to taste
- Uncooked ziti pasta – 1 package (16 oz.)
- Pecorino Romano cheese – ½ cup, grated
- Cook sausage, mashing it with a wooden spatula, in a non-stick skillet until no longer pink.
- Add red onions, capers, and garlic, mix to combine. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Add red wine, both kinds of tomatoes plus tomato sauce.
- Season with all herbs, spices, and salt; bring to a boil. Let simmer over low heat for about 40 minutes until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook ziti according to package directions until al dente.
- Ladle sauce over plates of pasta, sprinkle with Pecorino Romano, and serve.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.