(cooking time: 1 hr 30 min; 4 servings)
For the broth
- Olive oil – 2 tbsps
- 1 small onion, large chopped
- Garlic – 6 cloves, peeled
- Lemongrass – 1 stalk, outer layers peeled, chopped
- Ginger – 1-in long piece, peeled, sliced
- ½ jalapeno, sliced
- Stems of 1 bunch of cilantro
- Smoked turkey wings – 2 lb
- Water – 10 cups
- Bonito dashi powder – 1 tbsp + more, to taste
- Soy sauce – 1 tbsp + more, to taste
For the soup
- Baby bok choy – 2 heads, cut into quarters
- Kosher salt – to taste
- 2 eggs
- Egg noodles – 12 oz
- Toasted sesame oil – 1 tsp
- Kimchi – 1 cup
- Enoki mushrooms – a handful
- Mung bean sprouts – a handful
- Leaves from the cilantro bunch
- Lime wedges – for serving
For the broth:
- Add oil to a large pot; heat over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and garlic, ginger, lemongrass, jalapeno, and cilantro. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes to let brown slightly.
- Add turkey wings, pour 10 cups of water. Heat till boiling, reduce heat and let simmer till turkey is tender (up to an hour).
- Transfer wings to a plate. Strain broth through a fine mesh sieve into a large saucepan. Season with dashi powder and soy sauce, adjust amount to taste. Mix well, cover with a lid and keep warm (place over minimum heat).
- Pick meat from turkey wings and reserve it.
- Note: you can prepare the broth up to 3 days in advance. Keep the broth and the meat separately: cool to room temperature, cover and chill.
For the soup
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Quickly cook bok choy – just till crisp-tender, 1 minute only. Keep the water boiling. Use a slotted spoon to transfer cooked bok choy to a colander.
- Place eggs into boiling water carefully. Cook for 5 minutes, transfer to a bowl of ice water immediately. Peel eggs, cut in half lengthwise.
- Rinse the pot, fill with fresh water, season with salt, bring to boil. Add noodles, cook until al dente. Drain, transfer to a large bowl. Add sesame oil, toss to coat.
- Divide noodles between serving bowls, add broth, kimchi, cooked bok choy, egg halves and turkey meat. Garnish with enoki mushrooms, bean sprouts, chopped cilantro. Serve hot, with lime wedges on the side.