A delicious Sow Cooker Lamb Rogan Josh melts in your mouth is packed with flavour and has a nice amount of heat to it.
1 kg (2 lbs), cut into big cubes
4 medium, cut in half
Red bell peppers
2, cut in half, seeds removed
Fresh red chili
4, seeds removed
½ bunch, leaves picked
400 g (1 lb)
1 piece (thumb-sized), peeled and grated
8 cloves, chopped
1 tsp, crushed
Dried red chili
- Mix the garlic and ginger together in a big bowl that will fit all the lamb. Mix in yoghurt, black pepper and turmeric. Put the cubed lamb into the bowl and stir it well until every piece is coated with spices and yoghurt. Cover the bowl and put it in the fridge for the lamb to marinate overnight
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF/170ºC/gas 3. Large chop the onions and peppers; finely chop them in a food processor with 3 chilies and the cilantro stalks. Slice the remaining chili very finely; set aside.
- Wrap the cardamom pods in a paper towel and whack them with the side of a knife or a rolling pin to get the seeds out. Place a heavy-based pan over medium heat; put the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin and coriander seeds into the pan and toast until the spices get a slightly darker shade. Put them into a pestle and mortar, add dried red chilies and grind together (you can use a spice grinder, too).
- Leave the pan on the heat. Add a little groundnut oil, the processed onion-pepper-and-chili paste, the ground spices and paprika. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Large chop the tomatoes; put them and the tinned tomatoes into the slow cooker; add all the ingredients from the pan, too. Put the marinated lamb into the slow cooker, pour a tin’s worth of water over it. Stir well. Add a pinch of salt. Cover the slow cooker and set it to MEDIUM for 2 to 4 hours.
- Taste the curry to adjust the salt. If it is too hot, add some yoghurt. Garnish with chili, coconut shavings, mint and cilantro leaves. Serve with rice, fresh Indian bread and cold beer.
- Indian cuisine is unique – intricate hot spices combined with the creaminess of dairy products give it a very recognizable flavor you can never get tired of.
Support TastyCookery project and get TastyTales for freeSupport project
Rate & Review
Thank you for visiting TastyCookery!
Pick your gift now!
Pick your gift now!
You can choose any number of gifts, from 1 to 3.
Quick & Easy chicken recipes for those who want their dinner to be special!
Simple recipes, yummy pics, and an incredible dessert for your sunny morning!
Tasty Tales Magazine
Our exclusive seasonal recipe collection for you to cook fantastic dishes every day!
By receiving (a) gift (s), you confirm that you’re now a part of TastyCookery culinary community and agree to get quick and easy daily recipes by email.