- 1 head romaine lettuce - rinsed, dried and chopped
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, oranges and green onions.
- Heat 2 tablespoons sugar with the almonds in saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir while sugar starts to melt and coat almonds. Stir constantly until almonds are light brown. Turn onto a plate, and cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine red wine vinegar, olive oil, one tablespoon sugar, red pepper flakes and black pepper in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake vigorously until sugar is dissolved.
- Before serving, toss lettuce with salad dressing until coated. Transfer to a decorative serving bowl, and sprinkle with sugared almonds.