Easy Spicy Salad with Smoked Sweet Potatoes
For the sweet potato rub:
- Paprika – 2 tbsps
- Kosher salt – 1 tbsp
- Brown sugar – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
- Chipotle chili pepper – 1 tsp
- Dry mustard – ½ tsp
For the salad:
- Sweet potatoes – 2 lbs, peeled, cut into ¼ inch thick half-moons
- Olive oil – 2 tbsps
- Bacon – 4 slices
- Smoking oak sawdust chips – 2 tbsps
- Mayonnaise – ¾ cup
- Fresh cilantro – ¼ cup, finely chopped
- Whole-grain mustard – 2 tbsps
- Adobo sauce – 2 tsps
- Fresh ground black pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Kosher salt – 1 tsp
- 2 scallions, all parts, thinly sliced
Cooking Equipment: stovetop smoker
- Prepare the rub by mixing everything from the ‘for the rub’ section in a small bowl.
- Put potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to boil; simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain, place in a large bowl, toss with 2 tbsps of the rub to coat well.
- Fry the bacon over medium heat until crisp; crumble and set aside.
- Put the sawdust evenly in the bottom of the smoker. Place the potatoes evenly on the rack; close the lid; turn to medium heat. Smoke for 15 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are completely cooked.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayo with mustard, adobo sauce, scallions, and chopped cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Add half of the bacon crumbs. Toss with sweet potatoes until combined; add the remaining bacon. Refrigerate before serving.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.