This slow cooker dal makhani recipe is rich, creamy and loaded with flavor!
Whole black urad dal (lentils)
Red kidney beans
Ghee (Indian clarified butter)
1 tbsp (1/4″ piece, finely chopped)
1 big clove, chopped
½ cup, blended (1 medium)
½ cup or more, blended (2 large)
2 cloves, minced
Red chili powder
2″ piece, finely chopped
Dry fenugreek leaves
Garam masala (mixed spice)
Dry mango powder
¼ tsp (if unavailable, add a little lime juice at the end of cooking)
1/8 tsp, freshly gounded
2-3 tbsp (adjust to taste, you can add more if you want a creamier texture)
- Lentils (can be cooked a day ahead):Cook the beans. Add them and all the other ingredients from the Lentils section into the slow cooker. Set the cooker for 8 to 10 hours. As soon as the lentils are cooked, pick out and toss the cardamom, the bay leaf and the cinnamon. Mash the beans and lentils with a spoon while they are still hot; adjust the texture to your taste - you can make it chewy or mushy – and set aside.
- Tempering: Char the onion and tomatoes over gas flame or in the oven until their skins are blackened on all sides. Let them cool and peel. Use a food processor to blend the onion into a paste; try not to add water. Blend the tomatoes, too, and set both pastes aside (NB: the pastes may be done up to a day in advance).
- Heat the oil in a pot or Indian wok over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and the onion paste; cook over medium heat until golden brown. Stir in the minced garlic. Immediately after add tomato paste, chopped ginger and red chili powder. Turn the heat to low; cook the tomatoes for 8 to 10 minutes – the color must change to dark red and the fat must start separating on the sides. Add the lentils, season with salt (NB: if you feel that the lentils have thickened, add some water, about ¾ cup) and let braise for 20 to 25 minutes.
- In 20 to 25 minutes, add the fenugreek leaves, garam masala mixed spice, nutmeg, dry mango powder, butter and cream. Simmer (not boil!) for 10 more minutes; set aside to sit for at least 2 hours.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, ginger or chili, and flatbreads.
Support TastyCookery project and get TastyTales for freeSupport project
Rate & Review
Thank you for visiting TastyCookery!
Pick your gift now!
Pick your gift now!
You can choose any number of gifts, from 1 to 3.
Quick & Easy chicken recipes for those who want their dinner to be special!
Simple recipes, yummy pics, and an incredible dessert for your sunny morning!
Tasty Tales Magazine
Our exclusive seasonal recipe collection for you to cook fantastic dishes every day!
By receiving (a) gift (s), you confirm that you’re now a part of TastyCookery culinary community and agree to get quick and easy daily recipes by email.