Slow Cooker Moroccan-Style Chicken with Almonds and Apricots
(cooking time: 3 hr 15min/active: 15 min; 4 servings)
- Chicken thighs – 3 lb, skinless
- 1 medium onion, large chopped
- Ground cumin – 1 tsp
- Ground ginger – ½ tsp
- Ground coriander – ½ tsp
- Ground cinnamon – ¼ tsp
- Cayenne pepper – ¼ tsp
- Kosher salt – to taste
- Fresh ground black - to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Low-sodium chicken broth – 1/3 cup
- Chickpeas – 1 15-oz can, drained
- Green olives – ½ cup
- Dried apricots – ½ cup
- Almond slivers – 1/3 cup
- In a large bowl, toss all the ingredients from chicken thighs to black pepper till chicken and onion pieces are well-coated.
- Place chicken thighs and onions into the slow cooker pot. Pour chicken broth, add a bay leaf.
- Cook on high for about 2 hours.
- Open the pot, add olive, apricots and chickpeas, mix to combine, cook for 1 more hour. You will see the dish is ready when the apricots get plump.
- While your chicken is cooking, toast almonds on a pie plate in the oven at 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4 till fragrant. It should take about 7 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in shallow bowls: add cooked couscous, a chicken thigh, pour over with juices, sprinkle with almonds.
Other Slow cooker recipes