Basil Pesto and Bacon Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth, or as needed to cover
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 slices uncured bacon, diced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup milk
- Place sweet potatoes into a saucepan, cover with chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender enough to pierce easily with a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pan; add butter and cover pan.
- Cook and stir bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to blot grease.
- Process basil and almonds in a food processor until pulverized, about 30 seconds, and slowly drizzle olive oil into the running food processor until thick, 1 to 2 minutes. Add lemon juice, salt, and black pepper to basil mixture and pulse several times to combine to make the pesto.
- Beat sweet potatoes in a bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, slowly adding milk, until potatoes are fluffy and smooth. Alternatively, mash sweet potatoes with a fork if you prefer a more chunky texture. Season to taste with more salt; stir in pesto and bacon. Serve immediately.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.
Other Thanksgiving recipes