Juicy Two-Stage Thanksgiving Turkey Marinade
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 gallon water
- 1 (3 inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 (15 pound) turkey, thawed if purchased frozen
- 3 oranges, sliced
- 3 lemons, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- 2 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons ground black pepper
- On the Tuesday morning before Thanksgiving, whisk together salt, orange juice, brown sugar, a cinnamon stick and water in a large nonreactive container with a cover, such as a large stainless steel stockpot. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve, about 5 minutes. Place the turkey into the brine, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, remove turkey from the first marinade, shake off excess, and pat the bird dry. Discard the brine. Clean the stockpot or brining container.
- In the clean stockpot, make the marinade by stirring together together sliced oranges, sliced lemons, onion, green bell pepper, parsley, cloves, garlic powder, cinnamon sticks, paprika, olive oil, and pepper. Place the turkey into the stockpot and rub the marinade into the turkey. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- On Thanksgiving Day, remove turkey from the marinade and shake off the excess. Discard the remaining marinade. Roast the turkey using your favorite method.
Upgrade your kitchen:
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk â€“ unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.
Other Thanksgiving recipes